When we first planned this Southern Germany road trip, we never thought that we were embarking upon a journey so beautiful. We wanted to plan a 3 days trip so we restricted our travel to the Southern region and focused on three places primarily; Black Forest, Lake Constance and Lindau.
These picturesque locales are uber-fascinating with their quaint architecture and virgin wilderness. You find yourself wondering why vacationing in this stunning region of Germany never occurred to you before!
We did realize however that we were all the more deeply ensnared in its charms because we decided to travel by road. If there’s any region that is best observed by driving through it, it’s South Germany. So if you’re planning to visit this area, we have three words of advice for you: Go Road Tripping!
The Black Forest region is a large forested mountain range with many sights to see. Though it is easily accessible via rail from all of Europe, road travel is the best way to explore this region since you can stop and see whatever interests you at your will. That’s exactly what we did! Incidentally, Black Forest was the first destination in our Germany road trip and it set a wonderful precedent for the rest of the trip.
Here we’ve picked out our favorite things to do/see in Black Forest Germany:
1. Discover the Cuckoo Clock Tradition – One of the chief native handicrafts of the Black Forest region is the cuckoo clock. Visit the Rombach and Hass workshop in Schonach where you are provided with interesting insights into tradition, and also walked through some modern designs and restoration pieces.
2. Hiking – If you’re the adventurous kind, hiking in the Black Forest region will be an absolute pleasure. This area has an extensive network of trails including long distance paths and shorter, day-walking trails, as well as mountain biking paths, and cross country skiing trails.
3. Thermal Spas of Baden-Baden – Baden-Baden is a famous spa town, where numerous resorts allow guests access to lovely thermal baths. You can also enjoy playing golf and tennis, which are incredibly popular in the region. Baden-Baden also hosts horse races in the summer and skiing in winter season.
4. Triberg Falls – Amongst the largest waterfalls in Germany, the Triberg Falls are a sight to behold. The waters of the Gutach River plunge into a steep valley, creating a wonderful visual treat for all nature- lovers.
5. The Triberg Town Experience – For a composite experience of Black Forest Germany’s offerings, Triberg is a befitting locale. The town promises good hiking trails, many splendid cuckoo clocks, a well-furnished museum, and authentic German cuisine as well.
Accommodation tip: For an authentic Black Forest accommodation experience you can ditch the hotels and choose to stay in farmhouses, Airbnb’s, and cottages. Park-Appartements Badenweiler, Haus am Gunzenbach and Ferienwohnen Ziegelfeld are the three suitable apartment options for families and couples.
If you prefer nothing but hotels for your stay then choose to stay in Colombi Hotel or Atlantic Parkhotel – both are good options.
Lake Constance & Insel Mainau
After spending a day in Black Forest, we headed to the Lake Constance region the same evening. This area is rich with touristic sites, and if you’re pressed for time, you’ll have a tight schedule, no doubt. Pick and choose unique experiences and you’ll probably leave with some precious memories.
Here are some suggestions on what to do in Lake Constance Germany:
1. Visit Konstanz Town and Harbor – Lake Constance is lined by a number of alluring German townships. We visited Konstanz which has a beautiful habor, several impressive museums, and picture-postcard views of the Majestic Alps.
2. Go Boating – It wouldn’t be right to visit Lake Constance Germany and not indulge in some old- fashioned boating. With the warm sunshine smiling down on you, exploring the warm waters in a boat is refreshing leisure.
3. Enjoy the Sunset – For the folk visiting from bustling urban hubs, clear, magnificent sunsets are a rare sight. You are privy to such wonderful sights on a daily basis here. We thoroughly enjoyed gazing at the setting sun and taking a moment to appreciate nature’s wondrous beauty.
4. Visit Insel Mainau – The epitome of romantic ambience, Insel Mainau is a must-see location in this region. Bursting with blooming flowers, it is not surprising that this island is host to numerous weddings throughout the year.
When you visit Insel Mainau, make sure to see the following:
- Schmetterlingshaus: Schmetterlingshaus is a butterfly house in Insel Mainua which houses anywhere between 700 – 1000 colorful butterflies all throughout the year.
- Italian Rose Garden: Insel Mainua in its entirety can be considered as a blanket of flowers however what stood out for us was the Italian Rose Garden. Constructed with geometric attention, it is lined with sculptures, fountains, and pergolas.
- Historic Buildings: There are several sites of historical significance you can visit once you’re done being overwhelmed with the natural beauty of Insel Mainau. There’s the Mainau Castle, the majestic Castle Church St. Marien, and the Gardener Tower as well.
The last leg of our Germany road trip was an excursion across Lindau and that is a major island town in the Lake Constance area.
We reached Lindau by taking the local ferry which runs every 15 mins, transporting people and their cars to and fro. You also have the option of traveling here via boating tours but that typically turns out to be more expensive.
Here are some things to do in Lindau Germany:
1. Explore the Harbor – Like Konstanz, Lindau also has a beautiful habor where you can spend many an hour simply reveling in its seaside beauty.
2. Click Some Splendid Snapshots – Lindau Germany has some lovely picture-worthy locales. We would recommend getting yourself clicked with the 33-meter-high lighthouse, and the sizeable lion statue (6- meter-high) which is a major tourist attraction.
3. Visit the Historic Town Center – The town center of Lindau is a hub of histo-cultural wealth. You can learn much about the local lifestyle and practices by walking through its streets, visiting the shops and eating joints here.
Accommodation tip: Airbnb is a convenient option for those considering a stay in Lindau, Germany as it makes for an idyllic setting for one and all. You can also get a 30% discount if you book through our code.
Once you are done exploring Lindau, you always have the option of hopping over to Fussen and stopping by the Neuschwanstein Castle on your way back. This would be a wonderful conclusion to your scenic road trip through Germany.
Hop over to Fussen and see the Neuschwanstein castle on return.
Whether anyone is a seeker for medieval villages and quaint magical towns or someone who loves chilling by the lake side or indulging in water activities – a Germany road trip through Black Forest, Lindau and Lake Constance will meet all expectations. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your road trip now!